All the poppies sold in Scotland are made in Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory in Edinburgh. The factory was founded in 1926 by Lady Haig, the wife of Field Marshal Douglas Haig who was the commander of the British Army in France during the First World War. When the factory first opened all the poppies were handmade by just two ex-servicemen with some red paper and a pair of scissors.